Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Holi

Holi by ramnath1971
Holi a photo by ramnath1971 on Flickr.

Holi the festival of colors here is little history of Holi.
Holi is an ancient festival of India and was originally known as 'Holika'. The festivals finds a detailed description in early religious works such as Jaimini's Purvamimamsa-Sutras and Kathaka-Grhya-Sutras. Historians also believe that Holi was celebrated by all Aryans but more so in the Eastern part of India.

It is said that Holi existed several centuries before Christ. However, the meaning of the festival is believed to have changed over the years. Earlier it was a special rite performed by married women for the happiness and well-being of their families and the full moon (Raka) was worshiped.

This is something that I have wanted to take part in this since as long as I can remember but I don't know of place where to do so around here. I know that it was celebrated this past weekend and it was not warm enough to spray colored water on people too bad we can celebrate it bit later when it gets warm out LOL. I plan to learn all I can about Holi and take part in it next year somewhere. I would like to go to all Hindu festivals that I can this year in my quest to under stand Hinduism I will need to find out where to do find this festivals first I'm sure there are places around me that have them.

I do wish everyone everywhere happy safe Holi

0 comments: